A Complete Listing Of All Current And Former Animal Collections In Europe
Grodno Zoo, Grodno
Minsk Zoo, Minsk
Vitebsk Zoo, Vitebsk
Zhlobin Zoo, Zhlobin
Aalborg Zoo, Aalborg
Aqua Ferskvands Akvarium, Silkeborg
Aquarium Langeland, Rudkobing
Blavand Mini-Zoo, Blavand
Christianshede Zoo, Bording
Copenhagen Zoo, Copenhagen
Danmarks Akvarium, Charlottenlund
Dyrens Gaard, Balle
Ebeltoft Zoo, Ebeltoft
Enghave Naturpark, Brorup
Fiskeri-oa Sofartsmuseet Saltvandsakvariet, Esbjerg
Fiskeriets Hus, Hvidesande
Fjord & Baelt Centret, Kerteminde
Funen Aquarium, Funen
Givskud Zoo, Givskud
Grindsted Zoo, Grindsted
Jesperhus Blomsterpark, Nykobing Mor
Jyllands Mini Zoo, Videbaek
Knuthenborg Zoo, Brandholm
Krokodille Zoo (Danish Crocodile Exhibition), Eskilstrup
North Sea Museum, Hirtshals
Odense Zoo, Odense
Odsherreds Zoo, Asnaes
Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo, Randers
Safari Zoo Park, Lintrup
Skandinavisk Dyrepark, Kolind
Terrariet Vissenbjerg, Vissenbjerg
Tallinn Zoo, Tallinn
Current map of Tallinn Zoo (2006).
Like in most countries that gained independence after World War I, in Estonia the cultural and economic development enabled the establishment of a zoological garden only shortly before World War II. Tallinn Zoo was founded on 25 August 1939. The main responsibility for the preparations of this event lay with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Department of Tourism and Nature Preservation.
Two years before, in 1937, a team of Estonian marksmen had won the World Champion title in Helsinki. With the so-called Argentine Cup they had brought along another trophy â€“ a young lynx Illu. Illu became our first exhibit and later the lynx was chosen our emblem animal. Initially it was decided to develop our collection and gain experience in a provisory area on the edge of Kadriorg Park. Afterwards a more extensive area was to be selected for the proper zoo. When Estonia was annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, the societies and unions were banned. Tallinn Zoo came under the jurisdiction of Tallinn City Government and has operated as a municipal institution ever since. World War II interrupted the plans and the zoo could move to its new area of ca 87 hectares in Veskimetsa district only 44 years later, in 1983.
At first, the zoo had to cope with temporary buildings adapted from old military warehouses. Due to the 10-year-long prohibition on building cultural and sports structures in the Soviet Union after the Olympic Games in Moscow, the construction of proper zoo buildings could be initiated only subsequent to Estonia’s re-independence. In view of the extent of our territory and the financial opportunities of the city, the establishment of proper zoo facilities takes a lot of time. Therefore all the supporters are welcome. Considering that great part of people in Estonia still cannot afford travelling abroad, the Tallinn Zoo, being the only zoo in the country, has already today to give its best as a so-called embassy of wild animals.
Apparently there is no zoo that could perfectly manage a collection of too many species. It is unavoidable to have preferences and to specialise in particular animal groups. Tallinn Zoo holds one of the best collections of mountain goats and sheep in the world. We have an outstanding number of eagles and vultures and a remarkable collection of owl and crane species. As to other animal groups, the choice is more modest. However, we can claim without boasting that during our existence of a bit more than 60 years we have managed to assemble the most fascinating zoo collection in Northern Europe and achieved significant success in the reproduction of our nurselings. These achievements owe directly to the good will and skills of our staff. Other competent parties have also noted our success. In 1989, earlier than any other zoo in the Soviet Union, Tallinn Zoo was included to the membership of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA). A decade earlier, we had become a support member of the American Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AAZA). Subsequently, we have actively taken part in founding regional zoo organisations, such as the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) and the Euro-Asian Regional Association of Zoos and Aquariums (EARAZA).
Ahtari Zoo, Ahtari
Current map of Akhtari Zoo (2006).
Ã„htÃ¤ri Zoo was established in 1973, and this natural wildlife park is the first of its kind in Finland.
An elk named KÃ¶pi was the first animal to arrive at Ã„htÃ¤ri Zoo. Wolves and lynx arrived a few years later. Nevertheless, the most famous residents of the Animal Park are Santeri the bear and his mate Santra, who have lived in the Park almost ever since its establishment. At present, Ã„htÃ¤ri Zoo houses 65 animal species, most of which come from the coniferous forest zone. The Park’s latest arrivals are the snow leopards, donated by the Korkeasaari Zoo in honour of the Animal Park’s 30th jubilee year.
Ever since its foundation, our aim has been to provide a spacious and natural environment for the animals. Set in 60 hectares, the area has a varied terrain and flora and it has provided a wonderful opportunity for implementing the basic principles of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) on how to care for farmed animals. In addition, one of the most important tasks of zoos is to promote knowledge of animals and nature and to distribute educational information.
In the winter, many animals are at their best.
The newest arrival at the Animal Park, the snow leopard is well prepared for the winter: its coat is thicker and less dark than in the summer. The animal’s broad paws are also covered by a layer of hair, which makes it easier to move around in the snow.
A native of mountainous areas, the snow leopard is hunted for its valuable fur. The Ã„htÃ¤ri Animal Park contributes to the survival of this endangered species by raising snow leopards and creating opportunities for their breeding.
Akvaariolinna, the Aquarium Castle, was opened to the public in Petikko, Vantaa, in 1983. In December 2002 the aquarium was taken over by a new owner, Siniriutta Ky. Siniriutta has striven to continue in the steps of its founder, Paul Juhava, honouring and developing his life’s work by expanding the display, diversifying the selection of species, building new aquaria and terraria, modernising technologies and offering small-scale cafÃ© services.
A large central terrarium is now surrounded by a fascinating underwater world consisting of various freshwater and saltwater aquaria. The tropical environment is complete with diverse terraria for lizards and other reptiles.
The atmosphere in the aquarium is tropical, with a humidity level of 70-100 % and temperatures of 25-28 Â°C. Air humidity is maintained by ‘natural’ means, such as a tropical thunderstorm with rain and lightning, which takes place every 25 minutes in the central caiman terrarium.
Akvaariolinna is a unique experience for people of all ages. Learn about the animals and ecosystems of tropical rainforests and deserts, about fresh and saltwater fish from around the world, and even about small bird species. In summer, admire our Japanese gardens with their carp pool.
Akvaariolinna is an excellent destination for any kind of group, ranging from playschool children to experts in the field. In the same building, visitors can take a look at Finland’s leading specialist aquarium shop, Siniriutta, during the shop’s opening hours. Guided tours in Finnish, Swedish, English or Russian can be organised for groups upon request.
The aquarium operates entirely on the animals’ terms, as we strive to maintain all species’ natural feeding and sleeping rhythms. With the exception of our fish and plant species, all our exhibited specimens have been donated to the aquarium. Whenever we can, we also provide a home to healthy animals which would otherwise be put down. Excellent examples are our green iguanas â€“ Leevi, a seven-year-old female, Luitsi, an eight-year-old male and an older gentleman, Leksu, 11. They have all adapted wonderfully to their new lives in the tropical warmth of the aquarium. Leevi and Luitsi’s terraria are now connected, adding new dimensions to their cohabitation. To avoid unnecessary stress, Leksu lives a bit further away.
If you are here at the right time, you may have the chance to watch some species being fed, which generally takes place in the afternoon. Caimans are fed every two weeks or so. You can watch the reptiles feeding throughout your visit, however, as these relaxed diners spread their eating across all daylight hours. Unfortunately our visitors are not allowed to feed the fish, due to the risk of overfeeding and related health problems.
Akvaariolinna is open year-round almost every day, with the exception of some bank holidays.
When visiting Akvaariolinna, remember that the air temperature and humidity are surprisingly high, so please dress accordingly. There are some chairs on which you may have a rest and admire the diversity of tropical life or enjoy some of the treats from the cafÃ©.
Please respect the peace of all the animals at Akvaariolinna: do not tap on the glass or behave in a noisy or otherwise disturbing manner, as any unnecessary commotion will stress the animals. If you bring your own food and drink, please enjoy it outside the display. Otherwise you are welcome to watch, admire and be astounded by us.
Photography is allowed without flash.
Akvaariolinna is Finland’s most varied aquarium exhibition.
Our fish, caimans, reptiles, snakes, turtles, spiders, scorpions and birds are looking forward to welcoming you soon!
Korkeasaari Zoo, Helsinki
Current map of the zoo (2006).
Merimaailma Sea Life, Helsinki
Ranua Zoo, Ranua
Current map of the zoo (2006).
Sarkanniemi Aquarium, Tampere
Trooppinen Elaintalo, Hameenlinna
Batumskii Okeanarium, Batumi
Tbilisi Zoopark, Tbilisi
Ballylane Visitor Farm, New Ross
Fenit Sea World, County Kerry
Fortfield Farm Agricultural Zoo, Killimer
Fota Wildlife Park, Carrigtwohill
Fota Wildlife Park was opened in 1983 by the President of Ireland Dr. Patrick Hillery, and is a joint project of the Zoological Society of Ireland and University College Cork. Fota Wildlife Park Ltd. is a non-profit organisation limited by guarantee, and is a registered charity. Any financial surpluses that the park generates are reinvested in order to promote the company's objectives of conservation, education and research.
In late 1979, the late Dr. Terry Murphy, Director of Dublin Zoo, proposed to the Society's Council that, as Dublin Zoo had reached maximum development in the space available, they should establish a wildlife park and that it should be quite different in concept from a traditional zoo or safari park. The Council accepted the proposal as a project to mark its 150th Anniversary, and started to view sites in the Leinster area.
Prof. Tom Rafferty, Vice-President of University College Cork and Director of Fota Estate (which the college had bought in 1975) became aware of the Society's plans. He contacted Dr. Murphy and suggested that the wildlife park be located at Fota. Shortly afterwards, a delegation of Council members visited the proposed site. Amongst the visitors was Prof. John Carroll, a former President of the Society, who informed the group that he was born and reared in Fota and went to school in the small schoolhouse on the estate.
Subsequently, Prof. Rafferty brought the proposal before the Governing Body of UCC where it received almost unanimous support. Likewise the proposal was well received by the Society's Council. At a meeting in December 1979, it was formally agreed that the Society would establish a wildlife park on 70 acres at Fota which UCC kindly offered free of charge under licence agreement. Fundraising committees were set up in Dublin and Cork,
Lahinch Seaworld and Leisure Centre, Lahinch
National Sea Life Centre, Bray
Ocean World, Dingle
Shule Deer Faem, Ballygarret
Riga Zoologiskais Darzs, Riga
Centre of Marine Culture Maritime Museum Aquarium & Dolphinarium, Klaipeda
Lietuvos Zoologijos Sodas, Kaunas
Akvariet I Bergen, Bergen
Here at the Bergen Aquarium you will meet famous local personalities like Snorre, Vitus and Amalie. You can also experience the great atmosphere created by the young and old citizens of Bergen who keep coming back to say hello to the animals â€“ and to meet each other. Since 1960, the aquarium has formed a vibrant part of our local identity.
In more than 60 large and small aquariums you can watch in fascination all the weird and wonderful things that go on beneath the surface at close quarters. In addition to getting to know the cod, and all the other creatures that live along the Norwegian coast, you can meet animals like crocodiles, snakes, turtles and silk monkeys in our new tropical section.
In the cinema you can watch the spectacular 3D film SOS planet, as well as the classic Ivo Caprino film about the Bergen Aquarium, Bergen and the Norwegian coast. In summer, you can also attend concerts and musical performances of local music that is steeped in history. If you get hungry, or just need a short rest, you can visit the cafÃ© or the restaurant.
Welcome to the Bergen Aquarium!
Alesund Akvarium, Alesund
The Atlantic Sea Park is one of Scandinavia’s largest saltwater aquariums and one of the most popular tourist attractions in north-western Norway. It was officially opened by his Majesty the King and the Queen of Norway, during their visit to Ã…lesund for the celebration of the city’s 150th anniversary in June 1998.
Kristiansand Dyrepark, Kardemomme By
Map of the park.
Dyreparken is actually five separate parks, including a water park (bring bathing suits and towels); a forested park; an entertainment park; a theme park; and a zoo, which contains an enclosure for Scandinavian animals such as wolves and elk, and a large breeding ground for Bactrian camels. The theme park, Kardemomme By (Cardamom Town), is named for a book by Norwegian illustrator and writer ThorbjÃ¸rn Egner. In the zoo, the "My Africa" exhibition allows you to move along a bridge observing native savanna animals such as giraffe and zebras. The park is 11 km (6 mi) east of town.
Kristiansand Zoo is Norway`s most frequently visited attraction covering an area of 150 acres of wild Nordic terrain. It is totally different from other European zoos, which are characterised by bars and heavy padlocks. In Kristiansand Zoo, the animals have wide open spaces in which to roam - however, the visitors are still able to get up close to observe some of the most beautiful animals - like the red panda, which is threatened by extinction.
The first part of the rain forest is alive with a variety of apes and monkeys. One of the park`s latest attractions is an open air area where some of the smaller monkeys run wild amongst the trees and climbling areas and swing on the ropes while you can move amongst them!
Deeper into the rain forest, the mist and the humid atmosphere, dark and scary passages lead the way to crocodiles, alligators and many other reptiles - You will find more than 800 animals and birds living in as much freedom as possible in a natural environment.
The park has many kilometres of good paths throughout, to enable visitors the possibility to roam for hours.
Kristiansand Zoo is working very closely with the World Wild-life Foundation to help save animals under threat of extinction. It offers you the opportunity to see the Nordic wolf, lynx and wolverine in their natural environment.
Polar Zoo, Bardu
Risor Aquarium, Risor
The RisÃ¸r Akvarium opened the summer of 1996 and presents an exciting and educational experience for adults as well as kids. Small folks in particular will enjoy our low tanks where one may view the fish from above. You may even pet a cod or hand feed a flounder! We display a large number of common fish species and other marine creatures. We've got 25 tanks altogether. Five are large ones, of which four are open tanks and one is closed. The closed tank holds sea wolves (catfish) and Conger eels, which are strictly "don't touch" species! Six medium sized tanks hold smaller fish. One of these may be viewed through a window from outside the main entrance. We have set up a display consisting of 14 smaller aquariums to present an up-close view of specific specimens.
Sognefjord Akvarium, Balestrand
Sognefjord Aquarium is a marine activity centre situated in the middle of Balestrand. Here one can study more than 100 different species from the fjord.
Sognefjord Aquarium is comprised of a number of large and small aquaria, indoors and outside on the jetty. We have special aquariums exhibiting lip fish, Esefjord herring, eels, and sharks.
The aquarium also shows the activity in the tidal belt as the the tide recedes, and which species act as the fjordsÂ´ sanitary workers. We have created authentic fjord environments such as the tidal belt at Munken, the sandy seabed around Staken, and the area off the boathouse.
There is a model of the Sognefjord which shows the current and circulation patterns of the fjord and additionally provides an impression of depth.
Riga Zoologiskais Darzs, Riga
Centre of Marine Culture, Maritime Museum, Aquarium & Dolphinarium, Klaipeda
Lietuvos Zoologijos Soda, Kaunas
Abakan Zoo, Abakan
Amurskii Zoopark, Blagoveshensk
Arkhara Zoo, Arkhara
Barnaul Zoo, Barnaul
Belgorod Zoo, Belgorod
Bol'sherechye Zoo, Bol'sherechye
Bolsherech'yenskii Zoopark, Omskaya Oblast
Cheboksary Zoo, Cheboksary
Cherga Zoo, Cherga
Chitinskii Gorodskoi Zoopark, Chita
Detskii Zoologicheskii Park, Ivanovo
Detskii Zoologicheskii Tsentr, Tikhvin
Detskii Zoopark Vsevolozhskogo Doma Detskogo Tvorchestva, Vsevolozhsk
Ekaterinburg Zoo, Ekaterinburg
Essentuki Dolphinarium, Essentuk
Gorodskoi Zoologicheskii Park, Volgodonsk
Institute of Medical Primatology, Sochi-Adler
Kaliningradskii Zoopark, Kaliningrad
Kamchatskii Zoopark, Elizovo
Kazan' Zoo, Kazan
Kislovodskii Zooexatarium, Kislovodsk
Lakash Zoo, Lakash
Leningradsky Zoo, St. Petersburg
Mini-zoopark Gorodskoi Stantsiya Yunykh Naturalistov, Surgut
Moscow Zoo, Moscow
The Moscow Zoological Park has come a long way from a small zoological garden to the large scientific, educational and conservation institution of today.
The Moscow Zoological garden was founded by the All-Russia Emperor Society for Acclimatization of Plants and Animals in the middle of XIX century; it was opened for visitors on 13 of February 1964. Anatoly P. Bogdanov, Professor of the Moscow State University was one of the founders and organizers of the Zoological garden. The foundation of the Zoological garden was very important for the cultural life of Moscow since it was the first attempt to establish a scientific institution of such a sort â€“ "a living museum outdoors" as Professor Bogdanov said.
Besides, for those days it was a unique experiment aimed at the creation of the zoo in quite severe climatic conditions, as it was in central Russia.
The Zoological garden was financed by the entrance fees and sponsored by private donations, including contributions by the Emperor's family. In the first years people were glad to visit the Zoological garden, th e annual number of visitors coming up to ten thousands. People could see a significant collection of animals that numbered in 1864-1865 134 specimens of domestic animals and 160 specimens of the wild animals.
However, the incomes did not cover the expenses of the Zoological garden, which was facing serious problems with lack of money needed for acquiring and management of animals, repair of old building and construction of new facilities, cages and enclosures. Since the City Government refused to give support to the Zoological garden, the Society had to grant a lease to a private company â€“ the Ryabinins' family. For the three years of running the Zoological garden the Ryabinins' family had brought it to ruin, having transformed it into merely an entertainment establishment. In 1878 the Zoological garden was returned at the disposal of the Society for Acclimatization of Plants and Animals, and fund raising activity started again. The Society managed to revive the activity of the Zoological garden for a while, and even to buy a number of animals, but in 1905 it found itself in the very centre of the major revolution battles. It was badly damaged: the buildings were ruined, the library was set on fire, many animals perished. Again, the Society was forced to turn the Zoological garden over to private owners.
Following the October Revolution of 1917 the Society ceased to exist, and in 1919 the Zoological garden was nationalized. In 1922 it was transferred to the authority of Moscow City Council and since then it has been supported by the City Authorities. The Zoological garden territory was almost doubled.
In 1926 the Zoological garden was renamed "Zoological park". At that time the sphere of the zoo activities extended, the animal collection increased in the numbers, new departments were established, such as scientific research and educational units, scientific veterinary, biological and nutrition laboratories; the Moscow zoo Circle of young biologists was also founded. New exhibits, quite modern for those days, were established on the recently joined "New" territory.
People could stroll along the walkways in the spacious enclosures amongst fallow and sika deer. One of the most interesting exhibits of the Zoo had an exotic name "Animal Island". It was a high stony rock surrounded by a deep water ditch that separated the visitors from bears, tigers, lions and other larrge beasts of prey which were inhabiting the "Island".
The Zoo functioned even during the years of the Second World War. More than six million people visited the Zoo from 1941 to 1945. During that period a Zoocomplex, industrial enterprise, and the Durov Animal Theater were a part of the Zoo. After the end of the War these organizations had separated from the Zoo and became independent. In the late 60-s the Zoo was transferred to the authority of the central administrative board of culture. The number of zoo animals had grown up to 3.5 thousand specimens of 500 species and subspecies.
The Moscow zoo was becoming one of the larger scientific and educational institutions of Moscow and the favorite recreational place for the habitants of Moscow and city visitors. The zoo staff carried out many forms of educational activities with the purpose to distribute knowledge in the field of natural history and to promote an increase in public awareness of the necessity for wildlife conservation. The zoo assisted the schoolchildren and students with studying biology, actively participated in scientific research, and contributed in the periodicals and scientific publications.
In 1970-90-s the Moscow zoo took an active part in international wildlife conservation activities having become the member of many European and International Breeding Programs under which it exchanged its rare and endangered animals, shared experience and information. The zoo specialists attend international conferences and meetings and exchange visits with their foreign friends.
The Moscow zoo was very successful in the conservation of endangered species of animals, but by the end of 80-s the zoo's condition became a cause of alarm as the facilities, enclosures, and technical equipment were deteriorating with time. The necessity for urgent measures needed to improve the management of the animals was evident. A history of the development of the project of the reconstruction of the oldest zoo in Russia is quite long and complicated, as the first plans of the reconstruction have been worked out as long ago as in the 1970-s. Unfortunately, due to the economical and social problem most part of the ideas and intentions never became a reality. Truth, a partial reconstruction of the main entrance, Monkey house, "Animal baby background" and Lion house had been accomplished in that period, but for many years the dreams about the foundation of a new zoo in another region of Moscow has been remaining just "castles in the air", as well as the projects of the general reconstruction of the zoo.
The architects and builders have succeeded in achieving their aims. Almost 4 additional hectares of space has been joined to the former 16.8 hectares. With some minor exceptions all important zoo constructions have been preserved, including the ones that actually were dilapidated. The building of the first new facilities was completed in 1993, those were: the passage bridge with the adjacent enclosures for Japanese Macaques, Pinnipeds, raccoons and birds; an enclosure for large birds of prey; and a complex of enclosures for smaller and middle cats (Leopards, Pallas cats, Lynx). The passage bridge has connected two territories of the zoo ("Old" and "New") which allows visitors to avoid crossing B. Gruzinskaya street with its heavy traffic. The birds of prey exhibit, built on the side of a large pond, consists of a few enclosures covered with net and placed around an artificial 10-meter high rock. Moving the birds of prey may cause a lot of problems but some of the Eagles at the zoo have already started to breed in their new enclosures.
Following the mentioned facilities the reconstruction of one of the most remarkable expositions of the Moscow zoo â€“ "Animal Island" â€“ was carried out. The architects were able to preserve this wonderful construction in its historic appearance where the animals are being kept in the environment that is very similar to their natural habitats; Amur tigers, Striped hyenas, African wild dogs and Asian black bears are doing well and even started breeding on the "Island". This summer a pair of Asian lions arrived to the "Animal Island" under the EEP Breeding Program; the male was born in Helsinki Zoo, and the female originates from Chester Zoo in UK. The second floor of the rock is occupied by the exposition of "Exotarium" with small sea water aquariums.
In 1994-95 many more zoo facilities were reconstructed: the large pond for waterfowl and flamingo, Przewalski's horse and antelope expositions, enclosures for Spectacled bears and Cheetahs, "Tur hill" for mountain ungulates, and "Polar World" housed Polar bears and other polar animals.
In 1994 two large buildings were put into operation â€“ administration office and research and veterinary complex, and also the islands for Gibbons were constructed on the small pond.
New enclosures have been built near the main entrance: Wallabies and Emus feel quite comfortable in their "Australian" exhibit, and Capybaras living in the "South America" expositions have already given their first offspring. In 1996 the main entrance itself with a small waterfall and "speaking" clock was constructed. The building of the Bird World and enclosures and pool for penguins was also completed in 1996. In the same period of time the old dilapidated Elephant House was torn down in order to allow the building of a new Elephant facility in its place. Four African and four Asian elephants (including 1-year old Asian elephant baby) were moved into another facility for their temporary holding, which was a completely renovated building of the former tram station. This facility is not opened to the public but it is hoped that the visitors will be able to look at the Elephants at their new Elephant House in 1997 or 1998.
The new "Children Zoo" was opened on the "Second" territory of the zoo where the children can see the live characters of their favorite fairy tales surrounded with wonderful sculptures, and enjoy riding small ponies.
Over 50 facilities have been reconstructed and built during the whole period of reconstruction. This large-scale process became possible only due to the support of the Moscow Government and the City Mayor Mr. Luzhkov.
In 1996 about 200 hectares of ground in 100 kilometers from Moscow (near Volokolamsk city) were given to the Moscow zoo for the establishing a Breeding Station for rare and endangered species of animals. The natural landscape of the territory with woods, hills and water reservoirs in combination with ecological pureness of the region create the most beneficial conditions for the establishing a large conservation center. The enclosures for cranes, birds of prey, cheetahs and leopards are already constructed and are now inhabited by some of zoo animals.
The general reconstruction of the Moscow zoo represents a unique event when the renovation and reconstruction of almost all the zoo facilities was completed within a so short period of time. In these difficult circumstances the staff of the Moscow zoo did everything possible in order to save the valuable collection of the zoo animals. We are glag that the Moscow zoo have been totally renovated by the 850-th Anniversary of Moscow and now the visitors have an opportunity to see one of the most interesting animal collections in the world at the "rejuvenated" Moscow zoo.
Vladimir V. Spitsin
Director of Moscow Zoo
At last, in the beginning of 90-s the new government of Moscow headed by the City Mayor Yuri M. Luzhkov made a decision to start a general reconstruction of the Moscow zoo, and the total reconstruction has finally started in 1990. According to the timetable of the project, the first stage of the reconstruction is to be completed by 1997, to the 850-th Anniversary of the City. The team of architects developing the reconstruction project was headed by Anatoly A. Andreev who has been involved in the zoo design and architecture since the 1970-s. The main principles that were assumed as a basis of the project were the following:
- preservation or partial reconstruction of the historically valuable buildings and water pools;
- arranging additional insulation for the protection of animals and visitors from the noise of city streets;
- expansion of the old zoo territory due to the joining of adjacent sites and buildings;
MUK Zoologicheskii tsentr "Piton", Komsomol'sk-Na-Amure
Munitsipal'noe predpriyatie "Letni sad" im. M. Gor'kogo. Zoopark, Izhevsk
Munitsipal'noe uchrezhdenie kul'tury "Permskii Zoosad", Perm'
Munitsipal'noe uchrezdenie kul'tury "Zoopark", Chelyabinsk
Munitsipal'noe uchrezhdenie "Penzenskii Zoopark", Penza
Nalchik Zoo, Kabardin-Balkar
Nikel' Zoo, Nikel
Nizhnii Novgorod Zoo, Nizhnii Novgorod
Novosibirskii Zoopark, Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk Zoo - the 1st zoological park in Siberia founded by the initiative of M.D. Zverev on 29.08.1947 for a long time remained the only zoo in Siberia. The collection of animals numbered 34 mammal species and 20 bird species.
All these years Novosibirsk Zoo has been enriching its collection. Extensive correspondence, different trips within the country and abroad, negotiations, direct exchanges yielded one of the country's richest and most unique collections.
Presently the park occupies the territiry of 53 hectares and demostrates 11000 specimens of 478 species. More than 120 of the species are considered to be rare and endangered and are listed in the international Red Book; about 180 - in the Red Book of Russia and Cis; internationalStudbooks are kept for 38 species.
The zoo staf is involved into 45 international programs to preserve rare and endangered species.
Novosibirsk Zoo possesses one of the world best collections of the Felidae and the Mustelidae. The zoo is a member of the 3 International Associations.
Thanks to the zoo staff real enthusiasts - profound research work has been done on the preservation of rare and endangered species of the globe. The staff members have published more than 50 research works on the keeping, breeding and postnatal development of rare and endangered species.
The first in the histoory of the zoos offspring of such rare species as Lutra lutra, Vormela peregusna, Falcipennis falcipennis, Ovis nivicola nivicola, Ovis nivicola borealis etc. were born in the Novosibirsk Zoo.
Ours is the only zoo in the world to have bred such species as Argali and Liger (the hybrid of the Bengalensis Tiger female and the African Lion male). Novosibirsk Zoo cooperates with more than 150 zoos throughout the world.
In cooperation with the Institute of Systematization and Ecology of Animals there have been organized a nursery for the rare species in the bio-station in Karasuk where the scientists work together to study the biology and breeding of rare species.
Together with the Czech colleagues Novosibirsk Zoo carries out a scientific research work studying the tranmigration of the black storks from their winter stay.
It is an active promoter of ecological knowledge and founder of the Young Naturalists Associations (groups). Annually more than 1000 of topic excursions and about 150 guest lections take place. It also set up a school of horse-riding. More than 1 000 000 people visit the zoo annually.
Otdel prikladnoi zoologii Krasnodarskogo kraevogo ecologo- ecologo-biologicheskogo tsentra, Krasnodar
Okeanarium Tinro-Tsentr, Vladivostock
Park Kul'tury i otdykhma im. S. M. Kirova. Zoosad, Zheleznogorsk
Pitomnik Redkikh Vidov Ptits, Ryazanskaya
Respuplikanskii Zoopark "Nal'chikskii", Nal'chik
Rostovskii-na-Donu Zoopark, Rostov-na-Donu
Sakhalinskii Zoopark, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
Severskii Prirodnyi Park, Seversk
Smolenskii Zooekzoterium, Smolensk
Sochi Bird Park, Sochi
Somarskii Zoopark, Samara
The Galich'ya Gora Reserve, Donskoe
The Prioksko-Terrasny Reserve, Danki
Tul'skii Oblastnoi Ekzotarium, Tula
Voronezh Zoological Gardens, Voronezh
Aquaria Vattenmuseum, Stockholm
Current map of the zoo (2006).
Bengts Gard, Hjelmsjon
Boras Djurpark, Boras
Fjarilshuset pa Haga, Stockholm
Haga Gardens served as kitchen gardens to the royal court until the latter part of the 19th century. The Kings figs, grapes, melons, tomatoes and other exotic fruits were grown here. The present Swedish king grew
up in a palace in the park.
The exclusive NK department store ran the gardens throughout the 20Â´s and 30Â´s.
| || |
It was taken over by the Stockholm municipality in 1939 and provided decorative flowers and plants for display in the city until privatization as: FjÃ¤rilshuset, Haga TrÃ¤dgÃ¥rd AB in 1992. The gardens cover an area of 70,000 square meters. You can visit the old conservatory and enjoy its wide variety of plants. Of course there are also many other interesting attractions here too.
Junsele Djur-och Nojespark, Junsele
Kolmardens Djur & Naturpark, Kolmarden
Wherever you travel in the world, you’re unlikely to have the good fortune to see as many wild animals close-up as you can here at KolmÃ¥rden, one of Sweden’s most popular tourist destinations. When the dolphins make their entry, you can look forward to a fascinating, magical show of the highest world class. The stunning Precipice is home to seals and fur seals.
You can come and say hello to the elephants and rhinoceroses. The Monkey House is home to the gorillas and a large group of chimpanzees, among others. If you want to get even closer to the animals, we recommend a drive in your own car through the Safari Park â€“ an amazing adventure even for adults. Your windscreen is all that separates you from the big male lion, the wolves, the brown bear, the elkâ€¦
Lycksele Zoo, Lycksele
Malmo Museum of Natural History, Malmo
Motala Zoo, Motala
Nordens Ark, Hunnebostrand
Nordens Ark is a private non-profit foundation dedicated at assisting in providing a future for endangered animals through; breeding programmes, reintroduction programmes, research and information.
Most of the animals are part of breeding programmes in cooperation with environmental organisations, zoological gardens and governmental authorities. It is not necessarily the most beautiful, or funniest, animal that is the most important one at Nordens Ark.
Orsa Bjornpark, Orsa
Current map of the park (2006). Numbers and letters relate to: 1. Lynx 2. Bear 3. Bear 4. Arctic Fox 5. Wolf 6. Wolverine 7. Bear cubs A. Reception/Inn B. Entrance C. WC D. Cafeteria.
Sweden's four large predators live in Orsa Bear Park in an environment that replicates their natural habitat.
The Bear Park, located in the middle of a wilderness, was originally planned around the winter lair of some wild bears during the 1960s. Today, some 90,000 square metres of large forests, swamps, rocks and such have been fenced in. Ramps and wooden walkways have been constructed leading into the area, which allow visitors to come within breathtakingly close range of the animals.
- The park, which was opened in 1986, was originally planned around the winter lair of some wild bears during the1960s.
- The total area of the park amounts to 90 000 m2 surrounded by approx. 2,000 m fence.
- The park has around 70,000 visitors a year.
- The walkways through the park are 500 metres long.
- Toppstugan is located at an altitude of 561 metres.
- Together the animals annually feast on around
- 7 tons meat
- 5 tons apples
- 1.5 tons loaves
- 2 tons vegetables
- 2 tons concentrated fodder
- 0.5 ton salmon
Oslands Djurpark, Farjestaden
Parken Zoo, Eskilstuna
Skansen Open-Air Museum and Zoological Gaedens, Stockholm
There are something like 70 different animal species in the Skansen Zoo, the main emphasis being on Scandinavian fauna, which is represented by Nordic wild animals such as the brown bear, elk, reindeer, wolverine, lynx and seal. Every day, visitors can watch the animals being fed. This feeding-time circuit starts with the wolverines at 14.00.
Stiftelsen Skanes Djurpark, Hoor
The Rain Forest, Helsingborg
KolmÃ¥rden Tropicarium is one of swedens largest tropical exhibitions, with more than 2000 m2 area and opened every day except christmas eve.
KolmÃ¥rdens Terrarium was established 1972 outside Kolmarden Zoo, and sold to the Farkasdi family in 1990. The new owners changed the name to KolmÃ¥rdens Tropicarium and increased number of species. The main attraction was the shark aquaria, with 700 000 litres of salt water, with numerous coral fishes and three species of sharks. 15 years later, the expression
"A walk from the rainforest to the sea" really becomes a reality when you enter the rainforest of the monkeys. Â»
Ystad Djurpark, Ystad
Current map of the park (2006).
Akhtyrskii Zooekzotarium, Akhtyrka
Bion Terrarium Tsentr, Kiev
Cherkassky Zoopark, Cherkassky
Khar'kov Zoo, Khar'kov Zoo
Kiev Zoo, Kiev
Map of the zoo (2006). Numbers relate to: 1. Antelope 2. Elephant, rhinoceros and hippopotamus 3. Pavillion of birds 4. Zebra 5. Kangaroo 6. Llama 7. Aquarium/Terrarium 8. Seals 9. Guanaco 10. Giraffe 11. Banteng 12. Pere Davids Deer 13. Ram with mane 14. Island of animals 15. Waterbird ponds 16. Deers 17. Small and medium cats 18. Platform for offspring (??) 19. Bears 20. Przewalski's Horse 21. Camels 22. Pavillion of monkeys 23. Bison 24. Flamingo 25. Pelican.
Luganskii Zoopark, Lugansk
Lutskii Zoopark, Lutsk
Mens'kii Raionni Zoopark, Mena
Nikolaev Zoo, Nikolaev
Current map of the zoo (2006).
Nikolaev Zoo was founded by Nikolaev city mayor Nikolai Pavlovich Leontovich. As he himself wrote in the report to the Nikolaev District Executive Committee in 1923, the zoo, named then Aquarium, was founded on 26 April 1901.
Before the October revolution in Russia Aquarium was the mayor’s private collection, and it was situated in his detached house. As far back as in the pre-revolution period Leontovich’s collection was widely known in Russia and in Europe. Aquarium was equipped according to the latest technical achievements of that time. Electrical air compressors and water heaters were used in the fish tanks, 75 in quantity. Some of the tanks contained up to 3000 litres of water. Collection consisted of about 50 fish species and reptiles, all in all more than 1000 specimens. There were only seven such collections in the whole Europe. N.P. Leontovich regularly published works on aquariumistics, was an active fellow member of the Natural society in Nikolaev. In 1918 the collection was nationalized and Leontovich was appointed its director.
During the Civil war Aquarium suffered great losses, but it recovered and on 25 June 1922 the second official opening of Nikolaev State Aquarium took place. That year about 40 thousand people visited it. Visiting was free of charge. Up to 1923 Nikolaev State Aquarium was donated from the budget of local department of education, then it received the financial means from the state budget, and from March 1934 â€“ from the city budget.
In 1925 zoological department was opened in Aquarium and it was renamed into Aquarium/Zoo. Bisons, camels, yaks, deer, ostriches were brought from Askania Nova. Bears, wolves, foxes, monkeys were also purchased for the Zoo. Its territory was enlarged up to 0,75 ha. Enclosures for the hoofed animals and cages for the animals of prey were built, a young park was planted.
Visitors could see a lot of exotic fish from all over the world, inhabiting fresh and salt waters of the globe. Creative power of Nature could be clearly seen here.
Ever since then the zoo keeps a big collection of birds, from tiny colibries to the huge eagles, a group of parrots, cacatoos, storks. There are several species of monkeys, as well as crocodiles, wolves, bears, foxes, bulls, boas, deer and many other animals. Besides, all the representatives of local fauna are gathered there. In the park one can see a lot of rare plants.
In 1928 the staff of the zoo consisted of 9 persons. N. Leontovich with his family and some collaborators lived in the territory of the zoo.
In 1934 ungrounded oppression of Leontovich and his family began and on 28 July 1937 he was arrested and unfairly accused of participation in counter-revolution organization. According to a family legend N. Leontovich died in Tambov prison in 1940, but no documents confirming that had been found. Date and place of his death are unknown up till now.
Fedor Grigorievich Nichikov started working in the zoo as a scientific worker on 4 December 1935. He graduated from Odessa Institute of Professional Education and studied a post-graduate course in Odessa State Biology Institute. When Nichikov came to the zoo a scientific approach was introduced in the work with the animals there. Lectures, excursions, consultations were regularly conducted. In 1937 Nichikov founded a circle of young biologists in the zoo. It was one of the first such circles in the Soviet Union. Members of the circle took part in the seminars in Kiev. In 1940 they submitted two works: “A new subspecies of coffee-coloured rabbits” and “Fish living in the South Bug and the Ingul”. Nikolaev Aquarium/Zoo became widely known in the USSR and all prominent guests of the city visited it. On 27 December 1940 a Soviet film star Liubov Orlova and her husband a famous film director Grigory Alexandrov visited the zoo and wrote down their impressions in the book of honored visitors.
On 1 January 1941 there were 135 species of animals in the zoo: 27 species of mammals, 37 species of birds, 8 species of reptiles, 62 those of fish.
On 16 August 1941 the city was invaded by the German fascist troops. The zoo was not evacuated. All years of occupation the zoo was open for the visitors. In that period 24 persons worked in the zoo.
Now in the zoo museum one can see the genuine entrance tickets, printed in Ukrainian and in German, that cost 50 kopecks and 1 karbnovanets. The book of honored visitors, that is also kept in the museum, contains visitors’ impressions of the zoo since1937 till 1952, but three pages of the World War II are deleted from it.
During the retreat the fascists shoot the bears and lions. Here are the recollections of a zoo collaborator L.E. Nichikova about that time: â€¦“We managed to hide some animals in the basement. Every minute we heard the noise of explosions at the nearby shipyard. Germans knocked loudly in the entrance door demanding us to leave the zoo but we stayed with the animalsâ€¦”
On the next day after liberation of the city on 29 March 1944 the visitors, they were the Soviet Army soldiers, left their impression of the zoo in the book of honored visitors: “In liberated Nikolaev for the first time we visited the Aquarium/Zoo. Military unit No 251 the first entered Nikolaev. Many objects were destroyed by fascists. In the zoo there are only empty cages left. The staff of the zoo saved crocodiles, golden fish, peacocks and some other animals, which we were glad to see despite of destruction. In the fish tanks water is covered with ice and the golden fish are swimming under it. On behalf of N-sky military regiment, platoon leader commander Chuchkov”.
In that hard time the city found money for the Zoo reconstruction. The old cages were repaired, new premises for the lesser animals of prey and a pool for the water fowl were built.
In 1948 the Aquarium/Zoo was renamed into Nikolaev Zoo. At that time it was financed from the oblast budget.
In the fifties the Zoo collection was considerably enlarged. Pumas, snow leopards, polar bears, hyenas, a Himalayas bear were brought to the Zoo. In 1955 an Indian elephant Mary arrived from Moscow to Nikolaev Zoo. According to a local legend she was given as a present to Nikita Khrushchev by G. Neru, the Prime Minister of India.
In the sixties the Zoo collection numbered more than 200 species, about 2000 specimens of different animals, but its territory was only 1 267 m2.
In 1970 construction of zoo premises on the new territory started. Financing was scanty and construction went on too inertly. Some of the city authorities were of opinion that it would be better to break the Zoo up , but since 1974 the Head of the City Executive Committee I.M. Kanaev gave a helping hand to the Zoo and became the leader of construction. More than a hundred enterprises in the city and oblast donated money and regularly sent their workers to the construction site. Every week I.Kanaev conducted consultations with the directors of the enterprises just at the construction site and controlled the volume of the work done. We value Mr. Kanaev to his merits and always welcome him at the zoo. Only due to his efforts construction of the Zoo successfully came to the end.
In 1978 in the square before the Zoo entrance a sculpture Maughly and Bahira designed by Inna Yu. Makushina was erected. The monument became the emblem of the Zoo.
Year after year the Zoo specialists are forming the collection. Today it consists of 370 species, 2700 individuals. About 80 species entered into the International Red Book are kept in the Zoo. It is the biggest collection in Ukraine. More than 50 species can be found only in our Zoo but not in any other zoo in Ukraine.
Achievements of the zoo staff allowed us to become a full member of European Association of Zoos and Aquariums (EAZA) in 1993. We participate in 18 European programs for breeding rare species (EEP). Nikolaev Zoo is a member of Euro-Asiatic Regional Association of Zoos and Aquariums (Ð•ÐÐ ÐÐ—Ð) and that of ISIS.
Since 1988 there exists Museum of the Zoo History in the territory of the Zoo. Materials for Museum had been accumulated as far back as the beginning of eighties. In Museum one can see documents, photos, things belonging to Leontovich and Nichikov, written recollections of their relatives and collaborators, collection of sculls and stuffed animals and birds that used to live in the Zoo and also collection of eggs, schemes, maps and guide books of our and those of other zoos. It’s the only museum of the kind in Ukraine. Museum is very important for the Zoo because it preserves the experience and the memory about former generations of the Zoo workers.
Now a solidary staff works in the Zoo. A great number of specialists are working there for many years. They can be called the veterans of the Zoo. Among them Valentina M. Yakunina, Klaudia Ya. Bondarenko, Tatiana G. Bondarenko, Vera P. Byvsheva (they began working on the old territory). Besides them it’s necessary to mention Leonid A. Tsukanov, Vladimir N. Topchy, Sergey A. Ruban and others. All of them have been working in the Zoo for more than 20 years.
On 13 January 2001 a banner of the Zoo was solemnly raised. Only Nikolaev Zoo among all the Ukrainian zoos has its banner. Before raising the banner was sanctified by Pitirim, the archbishop of Nikolaev and Vosnesensk. Raising the banner of the Zoo symbolizes our aspiration for the future, for development of our research and educational work. The year 2001 was proclaimed to be the year of the Zoo in Nikolaev, as it was its centenary date. During all those years Nikolaev zoo saw good and bad times. It was always hard to keep the zoo up to certain standards, but its guardian was Love, a great love of the zoo people for animals, for our common Mother â€“ Nature.
In 2001 an International Scientific/Practical Conference was held in Nikolaev zoo since 7-th till 10-th September. Its main topic and name was the Zoo slogan: “Our joint efforts will only help us to save the world of the wild animals”. More than 60 specialists from 29 zoos and 10 countries took part in the Conference. EAZA was represented by its Executive Director Koen Brouwer (Amsterdam, the Netherlands).
To the Zoo jubilee the papers of the conference, a guide-book, a jubilee leaflet, a badge and a souvenir medal had been issued.
By the National Bank of Ukraine a jubilee coin of 2 hrivnas “100 years of Nikolaev Zoo” was minted. Ukrpost published jubilee envelopes with stamps. During the Conference the envelopes were stamped with a special seal.
Preparation to the jubilee festivities demanded great efforts, but all the problems were overcome due to the head of the jubilee committee city mayor Vladimir D. Chaika.
The square in front of the Zoo main entrance was completely rebuilt (architects O.P. Popov and V.P. Popov, “Glinosempromstroy” construction company, director V.A. Kondratiuk). Works made by the painter Vladimir Pakhomov beautifully ornamented the gate.
On 9 September 2001 a reconstructed square with Nikolai Leontovich monument in it was solemnly opened for the public. authors of the monument are Inna, Yuri and Victor Makushins. The same day summer enclosures for lions and tigers were also opened. They were built by “Glinosempromstroy” company.
On 5 September 2001 Nikolaev zoo was awarded a Diploma of the Cabinet of Ministers.
In November 2002 Nikolaev Zoo was awarded with a Diploma of International Academic Rating of Polarity and Quality GOLDEN FORTUNE and given a CRYSTAL HORN OF PLENTY.
Rating GOLDEN FORTUNE was established in 1993. For the first time so high award was given to a zoo. By all fairness Nikolaev zoo deserves the honour to be awarded as the best zoo in Ukraine for the institution contributes much to economic and cultural development of the state.
The given award has considerably elevated the status of Nikolaev zoo and became a powerful stimulus for further improvement of its creative work directed to the ecological education and the wild fauna of the world preserving.
In may 2003 Nikolaev zoo was the first one among all Ukrainian zoos to enter the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA).That organization was created in 1946.At present it unites 210 best zoos and aquariums the world. The tasks of WAZA are: coordinating work on breeding of the rare animal species in captivity, their distribution in nature, and also the environmental education of people and creation of expert biologists.
On the 18-th of March 2004 in Nikolaev press conference of the mayor Chaika V.D. with the presentation of zoo rewards took place.
For the first time All-Ukrainian Competition of high-quality production Â«100 best goods and servicesÂ» (under the patronage of President of Ukraine and Cabinet of Ministers) took place in Ukraine in 2003. According to the results in the national stage of the competition Nikolaev zoo has become a winner in the nomination Â«ServiceÂ». The zoo has been rewarded with State Token of Quality. Handing took place on the 15.03.2004 in the National Palace Â«UkraineÂ» (Kiev).
In April 2004 the new enclosure for domestic animals Â«Grand â€“ dad`s Peasant HouseÂ» came into force. That house has been built thanks to the sponsor support of OOO Â«Nikolaev Aluminous PlantÂ» and State Enterprise Â«Delta - LotsmanÂ». The yard, decorated in folklore style, has become not only the original museum of the village life in the Southern Ukraine, but also a house for the goats, sheep, hens, turkeys, geese and other animals.
The visitors of Â«Grand â€“ dad`s Peasant HouseÂ» can associate with tame nurslings, feed them.
On the 24 of April, 2004 City Mayor V.D. Chaika and Director of Aluminous Plant Ovchinnikov Y.G, in ceremonial conditions, opened the new enclosure. And the archbishop, Nikolaev and Voznesensk metropolitan Pitirim has blessed that good undertaking.
By Director Vladimir Topchy
Our zoo is one hundred. Five generations of specialists have already given and are giving their knowledge, efforts and labour to the favourite business. Thousands and thousands of animals have gone through its collection. Different events took place there. In order to preserve the memory of the past, the idea about creation of zoo museum was born. The first museum exposition was created in 1988. But naturally, a great work should be accomplished before the opening of the exposition. There were many relics in the zoo departments. Our people collected eggs, skulls.
And when the “critical mass” had been accumulated, our museum was born. The history of some our exhibits is very interesting. You can see the photo â€“ album in the museum â€“ window, devoted to the zoo founder N.P. Leontovich.
That album was done by his elder son Alexander at the beginning of the XX century. There are two gypseous sculptures of the girls in the Terrarium. The fishing girls were made in Germany, at the end of the XIX century. Earlier, there were glass aquarium â€“ cases with exotic fishes at the feet of those figures. You can also see the gigantic shells in the museum exposition. Genuine portrait of Nicholas P. Leontovich is the central part there. His younger son had given that portrait in splendid gilded frame to the zoo.
The granddaughter of the zoo founder had brought to the museum the wooden clock “ cuckoo”. In the next museum â€“ window there are photos, documents and personal things of F.I. Nichikov- the zoo director (1935-1967) and his wife â€“ the livestock specialist.
Unique exhibits â€“ real entrance tickets, of the period of fascist occupation (1941-1944) and also the reference book of the visitors (1937-1952) had been found in the zoo archives. That book keeps the impressions of people about old zoo. A small museum window is devoted to our veterans.
It is very important for us to preserve their names and faces. A model of new zoo, made in 1989, is situated in the centre of the room. The museum visitors are very interested in the collection of so - called “ wet preparations”. The first examples of them were prepared as far as Earlier it lived in the in pre- war time. A Black See fish “ a sea cock” is kept in a glass jar aquarium - case of N.P. Leontovich.
In the fifties the whalers of “Soviet Ukraine” had given to the zoo the foetus of the whale. During the same years a preparation of new â€“ born brown and polar bear â€“cubs was prepared. In the eighties nineties the rest “wet” preparations were created.
They are newborn animals of different species, helmints, some organs of the animals. The skull collection of the animals from the tiny weasel to Indian elephant is the greater part of the museum exposition. Many skulls belong to rare species. Craniological collection is considered to be not only of educational but also of scientific value.
Practically, all skulls in the museum belong to the animals of our zoo. There is a collection of guides of world zoos in one of the windows.
We also collect photos, documents, concerning the history of our zoo. The important part of the museum work is not only the collection of materials, but also their systematization and description.
Museum without visitors â€“ is a dead museum. Naturally, it is pleasant for us to see people there. The reference book for zoo guestsis kept in the museum. Students, naturalists, pupils come here to study its collection.
At present as far as Earlier it lived in the our people’s interest to it is clear. Unfortunately, our zoo museum exists on a voluntary basis. There is no keeper in the staff. And the very room is not quite adapted to the exposition. We have plans in future to create a museum exposition in a large spacious hall with up- to â€“ date equipment and specialist staff. The given museum in the zoo enables us to vary the scientific â€“ educational work with the visitors. Practically, each zoo has an opportunity to create its own museum, preserving its history and prolonging the life of animals in a new quality.
Novoaidar Zoopark, Novoaidar
Odessa Zoo, Odessa
Rovnenskii Zoopark, Rovno
Sevastopolsii Morskoi Akvarium, Sevastopol
Zooekzotarium minizoopark, Donetsk
Zoofarm of the State Steppe Reserve, Askaniya-Nova
Zoougolok "Skazka", Yalta